Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Not exactly a note

Three quarters of the cast of Care`n`Coercion at Edinburgh. I wonder what happened to any of them. The guy in the middle did a superb comic tour de force, but I can't remember his second name, so I can't google him - if anybody recognises him I'd be interested. The dildo on the gun was a huge mistake, the director's, who in theory welcomed my input but in practice not. After the first night we walked round the stage quite fast for about half an hour, talking not shouting, reasoning, not coming to blows, quite. But I did get one point across. "That fucking gun the dildo's stuck on, it's got to go, the whole fucking point is that the dildo, it's introduced as a terrorist weapon but the audience have fucking forgotten that by the end of act one, haven't they, so when Deborah shoots him with the dildo - we've got a fucking great pyro for that haven't we - what do you think the point of that is? it's a fucking surprise, you know, a surprise, they're meant to jump out of their skins, so what do you fucking do? you go and stick the fucking dildo on a fucking automatic so that they know its a fucking gun. Just how stupid is that?" At my tactful best. But the gun went and the pyro, which exploded a bowl of fruit all over the stage, was no longer gratuitous.

No comments: