Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Opposites

True or false? Things with opposites have to be qualities, like bad, or some emotional states, like happy [but not angry], or scalars or vectors, hot, down? - I know nothing, no philosophy, rubbish at maths, and anyway what I really wonder about are the things that have no opposites: criminal, lover, aficionado of the bullfight, magician, murderer, milky breast, hypermarket, dream, America. Maybe it's within the empty space of these opposites that the stories we have to tell still lie.
Nomad?

2 comments:

x said...

the more advanced you are, the less you need opposites to tell a story. and the better the story the less the opposites it employs, i think.

James Waddington said...

I'm confused about it, I've tried to clarify my own confusion in the next post and probably made it worse. And I'm not quite sure what you mean, though I think your blog is the kind of thing that Mark Ravenhill (see above) might be thinking of as a paradise.